Construction Law and Risk Management Resource Center
This website by J. Kent Holland, principal of ConstructionRisk, LLC, is published as a free construction risk management resource. The top menu bar includes drop down menus with numerous articles, papers, and continuing education materials. The sidebar provides a Search box to research legal and risk management topics that have been discussed in our ConstructionRisk.com Report since 1999. The Topics covered include professional liability, indemnification clauses, duty to defend, standard of care, warranties, construction defects, site safety, payment provisions, design-build, construction management (CM) contracts, litigation lessons learned, and much more.
Inside this Issue
- A1 – Why a Project Owner Isn’t Made an Additional Insured Under a Design Professional Policy
- A2 – Contract Language Made Code Compliance a separate Duty from the Standard of Care Duty
- A3 – Subcontractor Indemnification to Prime for Arbitration Award to Homeowner is Barred because Award did not explain basis for decision and would violate anti-indemnity statute if Prime was negligent
- A4 – Statute of Limitations Began to Run on Date Homeowner Saw Rust on Roof and not from Date Leaking Began
- A5 – Texas Certificate of Merit Requirement Does not apply to Third-Party Contribution Claims
AIA A201 and B101 Key Changes between 2007 and 2017 Editions
For a comparison of what I believe are important changes between the 2007 and 2017 AIA A201 and B101 documents, read my Construction & Design Risk Briefing (Winter 2017) edition, Comparison of 2007 and 2017 AIA contract documents, published by Zurich Insurance.
Continuing Education Video Courses
ConstructionRisk.com’s educational video courses include:
- Jobsite Safety Responsibility and Liability
- Contracts for Design Professionals
- Design-Build Lessons Learned
- Working on Purpose – Finding Purpose, Setting Goals, and Managing Time
You may also view the course videos on our Construction Risk Management YouTube video channel. See example videos directly below.
Contracts for Design Professionals Module 1
Discussion of the following contract clauses: Advertising, Americans with Disabilities Act, As-Built Drawings, Certifications, Compliance with Law, and Changes in Services. View the entire course here.
All the Videos are hosted on YouTube. If they do not open when you click on them, it may be because your office blocks access.